The Leibniz-Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) conducts excellent research in a broad range of fields related to horticultural sciences in order to promote the sustainable production of vegetable and ornamental crops. Within our research program „Horticultural Systems if the Future“, we aim to contribute to the development of sustainable plant production systems also in urban environments.
The newly launched EU -China H2020 FAB Flagship project „Sino-European innovative green and smart cities – SiEUGreen“ (see https://www.nibio.no/en/projects/sieugreen-sino-european-innovative-green-and-smart-cities and http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/212412_en.html) will help to develop efficient urban agriculture for multiple benefits, and thus contribute to the EU-China Urbanisation Partnership. To contribute to this project, we invite applications for a
Scientist in „Urban Horticutural Systems“
Reference Number: 03/2018/4
to join our lab at the earliest possible date. The employment will be initially for two years.
The salary will be based on qualification and research experience according to the wage agreement TV-L, salary domain east, up to EG 13 (up to 100% of the regular working time).
The successful post-holder is expected to contribute to the EU project and the EU-China partnership, considering technical, environmental and social aspects of horticulture in urban settings.
• design and execution of plant growth experiments
• data collection and analyses
• writing scientific and popular science publications
• supervision of bachelor and master students
• report results and work planning in cooperation with 19 European and Chinese project partners
• presentation of results to international scientific audience and local stake holders
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with the following qualifications and profile
• a Master (MSc) or doctoral degree (PhD or equivalent) in horticulture, biology, environmental science, planning or a related field
• working experience on plant production and/or horticultural crop production
• experience of plant cultivation technologies
• knowledge on organic fertilizers, soil science and wastewater treatment is advantageous
• knowledge of German is advantageous
• strong interest for research in urban horticulture
• good organization and English language communication skills
• open, flexible and positive person, able to take the initiative
• able to work independently and focused
• an inspiring and dynamic research environment, including state-of-the art research facilities
• an exciting EU project of considerable fundamental and applied relevance
• a place of employment located close to the city of Berlin
Please send a strong motivation letter stating why this is an interesting topic for you and why you have the right attitude and expertise to contribute to the project and make progress in this field. Also send your CV, copies of highschool and academic certificates, names of two references and indicate your earliest possible starting date.
Contact: Prof. Eckhard George (++49(0)33701 78 105; firstname.lastname@example.org).
IGZ is an equal opportunity employer. Handicapped people with equal qualifications will be employed preferentially. The IGZ wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.
Please send your application citing the reference number by 4th February 2018 to: Personalbüro, Institute for Vegetable and Ornamental Crops, Theodor-Echtermeyer-Weg 1, D-14979 Großbeeren or online in pdf-format to email@example.com.
Wissenschaft und Forschung
Ausschreibung bis: 04.02.2018
Unternehmen: Leibniz-Institut für Gemüse- und Zierpflanzenbau Großbeeren/Erfurt e.V.
Ansprechpartner: Eckhard George